Photography By: Chef Amy Symington
Looking for the perfect dairy-free dessert for Halloween? These pumpkin brownies are a fall favourite, and for an added bonus, they are egg-free and can be made gluten-free, too! Made with cocoa powder, maple syrup for sweetness and pumpkin puree, this decadent dessert will be sure to please chocolate and fall lovers alike!
Recipe by Chef Amy Symington.
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dark chocolate
- 1 cup spelt flour or gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax + 4 tbsp water)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin purée
- Preheat oven to 350F. With coconut oil and spelt flour grease and flour a 9 x 9 baking dish and set pan aside. In a double boiler add coconut oil and chocolate. Bring water in bottom half to a simmer and stir chocolate mixture constantly until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder salt and baking powder.
- In mixing bowl, whisk together maple syrup, eggs and vanilla. Add melted chocolate and mix until combined. Add flour mixture and blend well. Fold in pumpkin. 1⁄4
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick in the centre comes out clean. Remove allow to cool in pan before cutting.