Holiday Seitan Roast
Photography By: François Murphy
Looking for a delicious holiday roast to serve this year? This plant-based recipe combines kidney beans, mushrooms, oats and arrowroot flour to create the perfect centrepiece roast.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried tarragon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups Kidney beans, cooked and drained
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp flaxseeds
- 3 tbsp oats
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp arrowroot flour
- 1/8 tsp liquid smoke
- Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C).
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat add oil. Once heated add onions. Sauté onions, until they start to brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, spices and herbs. Cook on medium heat until the mushrooms have released their water and it has evaporated.
- Add in 2 tbsp of soy sauce and kidney beans then cook on low heat for 2 minutes.
- In a food processor, grind oats and flax seeds together.
- Add oats, flax, and nutritional yeast to kidney beans and mash into a puree.
- Roll out a piece of foil approximately 20 inches long and place the mushrooms and kidney beans mixture right at the edge of it, shaping it roughly 8 inches long and 4 inches wide.
- Roll up the foil and keep rolling it until you reach the end, so that the roast is surrounded by a few layers of foil. Then twist each end tightly shut so the roast firms up into a roll.
- Gently unroll the foil and place the roast onto a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining soy sauce, maple syrup, liquid smoke and arrowroot flour. Brush onto the roast making sure to cover the entire
- Bake for 30 minutes until roast is tender and exterior is slightly crispy.