Dairy-Free Nacho Cheese Sauce
Photography By: Colin Hatherill
This nacho cheese recipe delivers on the ooey-gooey, savoury nacho cheese flavour that we know and love. You won’t believe how many vegetables are in it, too! Nutritional yeast, lemon juice and spices are used to create a rich cheesy flavour without any dairy.
- 2 cups of peeled potatoes
- 1 cup of carrots
- 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of water (reserved liquid)
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp of salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp of onion powder
- 1 dash of cayenne (optional)
- Boil potatoes and carrots with 1 teaspoon salt until tender; about 25-30 minutes.
- When done, drain and reserve liquid.
- Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- If cheese is too thick add a little of the reserved liquid, 1-2 tablespoons at a time.
- Taste and add ½ teaspoon salt, if necessary.