Chocolate Avocado Pie
Photography By: Makayla Dewit
Don’t miss out on this decadent chocolate avocado pie. The filling is made with creamy avocado and coconut milk and is contained in a crust made from nuts and dates. Enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea to finish off your meal!
Recipe by Amy Symington from The Long Table Cookbook: Plant-based recipes for optimal health.
- 4 each (2.4 kg) Avocado, pitted and peeled, large
- 2/3 cup (80g) Cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup (160ml) Coconut milk
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons (90ml) Maple syrup
- 1 3/4 tablespoons (30ml) Vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (62ml) Lemon juice
- 1 3/4 tablespoons (24g) Agar agar
- 1 1/2 cups (142g) Walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups (245g) Dates, pitted
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup (29g) Almonds, sliced and blanched
- 1 3/4 tablespoons (16g) Cocoa nibs
- Fresh fruit (optional)
- In a high-power blender, add all mousse ingredients. Process until completely smooth, about 5 minutes. Transfer into a medium bowl and place in fridge to firm.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, add all crust ingredients and process until mealy, about 1 to 2 minutes. If necessary, use a rubber spatula to push down mixture to the center of the processor. Pour mixture into 8” pie pans, pressing evenly on the bottom and 1-inch up the walls.
- Evenly spread the mousse atop the crusts. Garnish with almonds, cocoa nibs and fresh fruit (if using). Use parchment paper to cover the mousse, gently applying the paper directly onto the mousse. Cover completely with aluminum foil and place into freezer to firm for at least 2 hours.
- Remove pie from freezer 30 minutes before service and allow to thaw on countertop. Slice (each) pie into 6 slices.